Some alchemists delight in the barrage of bombs they can unleash on a battlefield. They live for the flash and thump of explosions, and focus on such practices to the exclusion of other, less visceral, alchemical studies. Such alchemists are frequently adventurers, both because it allows them to use their knowledge in a practical manner, and because they are frequently forced out of yet another burned-out town.
Maniacal Glee (Ex): The mad bomber delights in the damage he causes with explosives, and specializes in the use of bombs more than most alchemists. The mad bomber starts each day with 1 point of glee, and has a maximum amount glee equal to his Intelligence modifier. He gains glee similarly to how a gunslinger regains grit.
- Critical Hit with a Bomb: Each time the mad bomber confirms a critical hit with a bomb attack while in the heat of combat, he regains 1 glee point. Confirming a critical hit on a helpless or unaware creature or on a creature that has fewer Hit Dice than half the bomber’s character level does not restore grit.
- Killing Blow with a Bomb: When the bomber reduces a creature to 0 or fewer hit points with a firearm attack while in the heat of combat, he regains 1 glee point. Destroying an unattended object, reducing a helpless or unaware creature to 0 or fewer hit points, or reducing a creature that has fewer Hit Dice than half the bomber’s character level to 0 or fewer hit points does not restore any glee.
- Daring Act: If using Daring Act optional rule for gunslingers and grit, the same rule applies to mad bombers – they can gain glee by performing acts of inspired, near-suicidal madness.
While the mad bomber has at least one point of glee, he gains a +1 bonus to bomb-based attack and damage rolls. This bonus increases by +1 at 5th level and again every five levels, to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.
This ability replaces mutagen.
Extra Bombs (Ex): At 2nd level, the mad bomber gains Extra Bombs as a bonus feat.
This replaces poison use.
Fire Resistance (Ex): In the course of his work, a mad bomber will set himself on fire. Often. The mad bomber gains fire resistance 5. At 6th level, this increases to resist fire 10. At 12th level, the bomber gains resist fire 20. At 20th level, the bomber gains fire immunity.
This ability replaces poison resistance and poison immunity.
Spiteful Detonation (Su): By occasionally drinking spare bomb catalysts and infusing himself with alchemical extracts, the mad bomber has learned to infuse himself with explosive energy, allowing him to trigger an explosion centered on himself when he is knocked unconscious. As an immediate action when reduced to 0 hit points or fewer, the alchemist releases a 20′ burst of fire, dealing 1d8 damage per alchemist level (maximum 10d8), plus the bonus from maniacal glee, to all creatures within the area, including himself. Those affected may make a Reflex save (DC 10 + half the alchemist’s level + his Intelligence bonus) for half damage. The alchemist suffers a -6 penalty on his saving throw against his own detonation.
This ability replaces persistent mutagen.
Mad Bomber Discoveries:
The following discoveries are added to the list of options that the mad bomber may select from when learning a discovery.
- Big Boom* (Su): The bomber mixes an unusually explosive bomb, which detonates upon impact. Using this ability is a standard action and costs three of the alchemist’s daily bombs and one point of glee. Instead of normal bomb damage, the bomb explodes at its target point like a fireball, dealing 1d6 points of damage per alchemist level (plus the bonus from maniacal glee, if applicable) to a maximum of 10d6 damage to all within a 20′ radius burst. Those caught within the explosion may make a Reflex save (DC 10 + half the alchemist’s level + his Intelligence modifier) for half damage. The alchemist must be at least 6th level and possess the explosive bomb discovery before learning this one.
- Cackle (Su): The bomber releases a mad cackle when one of his bombs strikes home, releasing a surge of his own energy into the blast. As a swift action after a bomb’s damage is rolled, the bomber may spend one point of glee to reroll the damage roll. The bomber must accept this second total, even if it is lower than the first.
- Evasion (Ex): The mad bomber is adept at dodging out of the way of explosions due to long practice at avoiding his own. This functions as the rogue ability of the same name. The alchemist must be at least 8th level before selecting this discovery.
- Evasion, Improved (Ex): The mad bomber is particularly good at avoiding explosions. This functions as the rogue advanced talent of the same name. The alchemist must be at least 14th level and possess the evasion discovery or class feature to select this ability.
- Frantic Focus (Su): While he has at least one point of glee, the DC of all bomb-based saving throws generated by the bomber are increased by 1. This includes Reflex saves to reduce splash damage and saves against secondary effects from other discoveries.
- Gleeful (Ex): The mad bomber begins each day with a number of glee equal to his Intelligence bonus, rather than 1.
- Mad Genius (Su): The alchemist has learned to mix the effects of his bombs, allowing him to combine the effects of two discoveries on a single bomb. The mixing process for a mad genius bomb takes slightly longer than a normal bomb – it is a full action rather than a standard action to mix and throw, and this speed is not modified by the fast bombs discovery. The alchemist may select two discoveries noted with an asterisk on the discovery table and apply both of them to the same bomb – both effects take effect simultaneously on the target. Using this ability costs three daily bombs and one point of glee. If the alchemist uses this discovery with the big boom or biggest boom discoveries, it costs a number of daily bombs equal to that power + 2 instead of 3. The glee costs for the two abilities are added together. The alchemist must be at least 10th level to select this discovery.
Mad Bomber Grand Discovery:
- Biggest Boom (Su)*: The alchemist has learned to create the ultimate in bombs. As a standard action, he may spend four daily bombs and two points of glee to hurl four infused bombs, as the meteor swarm spell cast at his caster level. The bonus to damage from maniacal glee applies to the energy damage from these bombs.
The following discoveries complement the mad bomber archetype: breath weapon bomb, concussive bomb, delayed bomb, explosive bomb, fast bomb, immolation bomb, inferno bomb, precise bombs, smoke bomb.